Envying Bigger Trees

Sometimes I get it into my mind that our church should be BIG. I hope that the root of it is a desire to see more people come to know Christ- but I also know myself well enough to know that my ego is at play. I wonder how often my disappointment with the size of the crowd has distracted me from ministering to the crowd- the crowd that God has granted. The following words were encouraging to me- once again from my good friend (though he doesn't know it yet) John Piper.


Posting by John Piper on Desiring God's website:

There are saving works that God will only do through small churches and ordinary people, not through large churches and more sophisticated people.

The Lord said to Gideon, "The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand, lest Israel boast over me, saying, 'My own hand has saved me.'" (Judges 7:2)

Beware of missing your appointed fruit by envying bigger trees.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the smallness but I don't see it lasting. I think you do an awesome job.