Across the Chasm

I have become a Lazogger. (That's Lazy Blogger mixed together). I think it's because I am tired. Or maybe it's that I am mentally drained right now. I started to look through some of my old blogs that I never published and I ran across this poem that I wrote on December 7 of last year. It brought back so many memories- good and bad. It reminded me of many things- the main thing being that only what is done for Christ will count. I don't know if this poem will make sense to you- it was mainly for me. I remember last December being surrounded by people, yet feeling alone. I had lost 2 good friends and our baby within a few months. I felt like I was standing on one side of the Grand Canyon with my friends and child on the other side- and I knew I couldn't see them until I crossed. It felt like it was way too far away- and it was too difficult of a journey to get there.


I stand at the edge
the chasm seems too deep
too dangerous
too wide
i begin to lose hope
i am shook by separation
my friends
my child
they have flown
but i know where they are
on the other side i know
i must get there i must
but i can't get there alone

i know the One who has done it
i will go with Him

this walk along the edge seems too much
too rocky
too scary
but i hear their voices across the chasm
"just cross it, you must!"
"almost here!"
"take heart!"
"be strong!"
"don't give up!"

i am breathless my eyes mist
The One whispers, "Listen to them."

"what we talked about- it's visible!"
i smile.
"only what is done for christ will count!"
i nod, hands back on the plow.

"in the end the King will take your hand,
cross the chasm
and we will be here.
your scrapes-
your bruises-
your tears-
they'll be gone.
And we will sing loud together again, old friend.
It won't be long."

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I long for that day too! We love you!

Jessica said...

Makes me tear up. I feel it too.