The most blessed hour of my life...

I have such mixed emotions about the death penalty. I believe it's necessary, but I hate it. I cannot stand the thought of watching someone have life taken from them. I am not trying to be political, I am just being personal and honest. I don't think I could ever count it a privilege to watch someone die. I was surprised to find that a hero of mine, Charles Wesley, counted his witness to an execution as being the most blessed hour of his life.
-Your finest hour, Charles, is watching some criminals get hung? How could it be possible for the most blessed hour of one's life to be spent witnessing an execution? 

I love to read and to hear about hero's of the faith. I just read the following today on Desiring God's daily blog/email. Check the following out- it's too good not to share:

- On July 18, 1738, two months after his conversion, Charles Wesley did an amazing thing. He had spent the week witnessing to inmates at the Newgate prison with a friend named “Bray,” who he described as “a poor ignorant mechanic.” One of the men they spoke to was “a black slave that had robbed his master.” He was sick with a fever and was condemned to die.

Wesley and Bray asked if they could be locked in overnight with the prisoners who were to be executed the next day. That night they spoke the gospel. They told the men that “one came down from heaven to save lost sinners.” They described the sufferings of the Son of God, his sorrows, agony, and death.

The next day, the men were loaded onto a cart and taken to Tyburn. Charles went with them. Ropes were fastened around their necks so that the cart could be driven off and leave them swinging in the air to choke to death.

The fruit of Wesley’s and Bray’s night-long labor was astonishing. Here’s what Wesley wrote:

"They were all cheerful; full of comfort, peace, and triumph; assuredly persuaded Christ had died for them, and waited to receive them into paradise. . . . The black . . . saluted me with his looks. As often as his eyes met mine, he smiled with the most composed, delightful countenance I ever saw."

"We left them going to meet their Lord, ready for the bridegroom. When the cart drove off, not one stirred, or struggled for life, but meekly gave up their spirits. Exactly at twelve they were turned off. I spoke a few suitable words to the crowd; and returned, full of peace and confidence in our friends’ happiness. That hour under the gallows was the most blessed hour of my life."
(Journal, vol 1, 120-123)


O may the boldness of Wesley be found in me! And may the message of the cross not be emptied of it's power by the temptation to half-heartedly mince words so I may not be offensive. May I see that eternity truly hangs in the balance with how someone responds to Jesus Christ. And may I count it a privilege and a blessing to see the saints go down in peace.

0 comments: