My Friend George, Part 2


George served over 200 women at a dinner the night before he died. He wore his tux and polished his bald head I am sure. Here is a pic of George doing what he did best only hours before he died.

I have so much more that I want to say about my friend George. I have really struggled with his passing, teetering between my desire to no longer hurt and my desire to never forget who he was and what he meant to humanity. It seems that right now I can't have one without the other. I know that the word "humanity" seems to be a strong word to use, but George reminds me of something that Rob Bell talked about in one of his books. Bell talked about how the world needs Christians- the world is a better place because of Christians (true Christians whose lives look strangely like the life of Jesus- full of love, sacrifice, and a hatred for injustice). The world didn't need George, but the world was and is so much better off because of George.

:: Who George Was to Me ::
As I mentioned in an earlier post, on my flight home from Jacksonville I jotted down some thoughts in my journal. I offer it to those who may find comfort or inspiration, not from my words, but from George.
12/10/07
George was strong for us when we needed strength. He always seemed to be good at standing up for people who seemed to have been made cripple. He loved justice. He hated injustice. He loved truth and integrity. He hated lies, deceit, and shallow living. He LOVED his wife Sandy. He ADORED his son Stephen. He felt it a privelege to minister to church staff. He was a minister to ministers. He had as strong a mind as he did a hug and a handshake. He was put off by weak-minded Christians who sought comfort before Christ. He was not afraid to touch. He would give a great big bear-hug, a firm handshake, and a knock-the-wind-out-of-you pat on the back. He would tell you that he loved you and that he would be there if you ever needed anything. (And he would emphasize words like "ever" or "anything"). He loved life and he didn't let his circumstances define who he was. After his funeral, I looked through his well-worn Bible with about a thousand ribbon markers (marking his favorite passages) and it said in Philippians 4 (he had written a side note): "Be independent of your circumstances."
Sometimes he would say things that seemed trite for a Christian to say like, "God said it. That settles it." And because it was George who said it, I believed it too. His life backed it up. And it was not trite.
He would not embrace or settle for weak faith. His God was and is strong. His view of God broadened my view of God.
He spent his last day serving over 200 ladies at a dinner that was partly organized by Sandy (his wife). Tim Tebow's mom was the guest speaker. Tebow won the Heisman Trophy 4 days later. George, I am told, wore his 7-year old tux and he would not leave until the last table had been cleaned and put away (this was typical George fashion). George labored to show people that they were important, that they mattered to God- and that meant that they mattered to him as well. George never saw someone as a lost cause.
One of his favorite things to say when the means to an end seemed absurd was "That dawg won't hunt." His timing was impeccable. He had a great sense of humor. He was really good at dishing it out on me. I am not really quick-witted. Part of my personality and sense of humor is that I am really really slow (at times people have honestly wondered if there was something mentally wrong with me!) Every now and then, I would think that I had a "good one" to dish out on George. I would roll it out, and then he would send something right back at me tenfold. At times it had to do with being a momma's boy or maybe even the fact that I don't shower and I only take bubble baths. Okay just kidding about the bath thing- but George had a hidden arsenal waiting for the right time to be released on me. And I wouldn't trade the battles in for anything.
I think I will end it here- right when you begin to see that he had a love for life, for faith, for friends, for justice, and for laughter. More to come later this week- because I want to tell you some of the things that George taught me about faith and life . . .

1 comments:

bops said...

Even though I never meet your friends George and Earl, I like them. From the brief memories you've shared in your blog these men obviously have had a profound impact on your life. Their friendships have modeled for you two good examples of what it means to be a genuine Christian. Their friendships were a priceless investment in your life. NOW, it your turn to pass those investments of friendship forward and be a special friend to someone who needs a "George" or "Earl" in their life.