Grace, Cowboys, T.O. & Glorifying God

I am a huge Cowboys fan, which by default has made me blind to character analysis of heroic players suiting up in the Silver and Blue. The Cowboys have traditionally (at least for the last 20 years) employed players based on talent and not so much on character and integrity. Jerry Jones is not looking for guys to talk politics with or go to church with. He is looking for guys who can win a Super Bowl.
One such character, Terrell Owens, or affectionately known by Terrell as T.O. is the perfect example. T.O. is a freak of an athlete. Team-mates have described him as one giant muscle. He is a beast. But his off-the-field and on-the-field antics have made him kind of a villain across the nation. Yesterday after the Cowboys win over the Bengals, T.O. mentioned that he was just thankful for the opportunity and wanted to give all the glory to God. Now, I am not making any judgments on T.O. But what I want to ask is, "If T.O. is sincere, would we be able accept it?" Do we carry around this idea of who is and who isn't worthy of giving God glory? I have noticed that T.O. is different, and have recently been disappointed with some of his post-game comments that have left me with the impression that he is still the selfish T.O. that ruined Philly. But regardless of whether or not that is true- have I set myself up as judge as to when someone can give God glory and when someone can't?
If I would have seen and heard the centurion, who was put in charge of killing Jesus (recorded in Luke 23:47), praise God then sadly I think I would have had a problem with that. I would have said that he was not fitting to give glory to God. But for some reason, I get this sense that his praise was particularly glorifying to God as he stood at the foot of the cross. And I get this sense, that in T.O.'s journey of faith (or some version of it), God may just be smiling. Maybe it comes down to Christians having a problem with grace. Do I struggle with the Loving Father's bent to love the wayward son, or the criminal on the cross, or the adulteress woman, or the self-seeking millionaire football celebrity?

0 comments: