the unfamiliar voice of Jesus

"One thing you lack. Go, sell everything you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
"How hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!"
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him."
Is he talking to me?
How do I deal with that?
Did Jesus really mean what He said?
And what would it be like if we really believed Him?
I am finding that being a Christian isn't just an event. The more time I spend with Jesus the more I realize that it's not so easy to follow him. Faith is something I have to grapple with. It's hard to follow someone I cannot see. And the more I try to talk spiritual and the more I try to prove myself to be deep, I begin to lose sight of Jesus. Maybe that's what was wrong with the Pharisees... they thought they could carry the Kingdom of God on their shoulders. Jesus shows me that I will only find him when I become nothing for Him. The poor, the beggars, the disabled, the dumb, the blind, the deaf, the rednecks, the women and children, (and even the dead!), knew the voice of Jesus. I hope my life proves to be very familiar with the way of the poor and simple instead of the spiritual elite. Because then I will know the voice of Jesus, and it will be sweet to me.
Come, Jesus. Come. I am waiting...

0 comments: