Congo

Though pressed for time, I sat down to read an article in the NY Times about injustice in the Congo, and how Americans may be funding the injustice everyday without even realizing it.
Here are a few clips from it:

- This is Africa’s resource curse: The wealth is unearthed by the poor, controlled by the strong, then sold to a world largely oblivious of its origins.

-“Without knowing it, tens of millions of people in the United States may be putting money in the pockets of some of the worst human rights violators in the world, simply by using a cellphone or laptop computer,” Senator Durbin, a Democrat, said at the time.

You can check out the entire article here:
Congo’s Riches, Looted by Renegade Troops

Be sure to check out the audio/visual slideshow as well.

I long to be a person that makes a difference in the world. Sometimes I feel pretty helpless, but that doesn't mean I am without excuse for my inaction. In my head and in my heart I hate injustice. But why do I accept it?

0 comments: