It's good to be afflicted?

I remember being in one of the most beautiful places on the earth, Maui, having just surrendered to the ministry a week beforehand, and wondering why in the world I could not "feel God." I went the whole week without digging into God's Word. I had just come off a spiritual high at youth camp the week before- in Texas. Now I was in Hawaii, and I was at a loss for spiritual "want to." A tragedy. I have promised God that if He ever allows me to go back that I would be better next time:)
Psalm 119 tells me that for those who follow God, the "want to" seems to come in full force when one goes through affliction. I believe it. Some of the most precious times with my Savior have been in times of deep anguish. Granted, at times during the pain, I was too distracted with grief that I could not feel my way to my Bible to open it up. But God allowed me pockets of slight relief and I was able to open up God's Word and it was my lifeline. So, I find this at work: I don't like affliction, but I like being close to God more. It is good to be afflicted.
Good days and bad. Hawaii or Idaho. I want to be able to follow suit in Psalm 119:72, "The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold."

0 comments: